Colorado Springs, Colo. – March 5, 2019 – For the first time in Colorado Springs history, local companies had the opportunity to recruit students and alumni from all four colleges in the region under one roof. Last Friday, more than 50 local employers and nearly 300 students came together at the City Auditorium to matchmake skills and job opportunities. This initiative addressed the demand to retain Colorado Springs’ educated workforce.
“From an economic development standpoint, one of the biggest challenges we encounter is workforce availability,” said Yemi Mobolade, vice president of business retention and expansion at the Colorado Springs Chamber and EDC. “There are many high-quality jobs in Colorado Springs and students looking to launch their career here. By bridging the gap between graduates and their awareness of local employers, we hope that they’ll consider staying here and strengthening our region with their skills and talents.”
Employers were represented in all industries; ranging from tech, aerospace & defense, healthcare, and investment services. “COS Job Day is one of the best career fairs I’ve been to because of the rich candidate pool,” explained Jena Huddleston, who is a talent acquisition consultant for Centura Health. “I’ve met with many eager students who are qualified for various roles at Centura Health. After today I feel we’ll be able to place recent local graduates in positions such as direct patient care, CNAs, and medical assistants.”
COS Job Day is a fresh take on the average career fair. Resources were provided to help students polish their interviewing skills and nailing first impressions. Attendees had opportunities to hear from expert panels, get a new headshot for their LinkedIn, network and socialize over games, and eat lunch from local food trucks.
COS Job Day was hosted by the Colorado Springs Chamber & EDC, in partnership with Colorado College, Colorado Technical University, Pikes Peak Community College, Pikes Peak Workforce Center, Peak Start Up, Quad Innovation Partnership, and the University of Colorado Colorado Springs.
Here is the complete list of employers:
- Air Force Civilian Service
- ADD STAFF, Inc
- Altia, Inc.
- Boecore, Inc.
- California Casualty Management Co.
- Centura Health
- Cheyenne Mountain Resort
- Children’s Hospital Colorado
- City of Colorado Springs
- Colorado Springs Chamber & EDC
- Colorado Springs Rising Professionals
- Colorado Springs Utilities
- Continuum Autism Spectrum Alliance
- CSAA Insurance Group, a AAA Insurer
- Eagle Lake Camps of The Navigators
- El Paso County
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Colorado Springs East
- Falcon Trail Youth Center
- FASTENAL COMPANY
- General Dynamics
- Glen Eyrie Castle & Conference Center
- Goodspeed Lawn & Design
- Harris Corporation
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- Insurance Technologies
- Kona Ice
- Marriott Colorado Springs
- Microchip Technology Inc.
- New Horizons Computer Learning Centers.
- New York Life Insurance Co.
- Northwestern Mutual Financial Network
- Overlook Systems
- Peak Vista Community Health Centers
- Premier Roofing Company
- Polaris Alpha
- Rocky Mountain Solar and Wind
- Sanborn Map Company, Inc
- Space Foundation
- T. Rowe Price
- Tek Experts
- The Boeing Company
- UnitedHealth Group
- USAA Mountain States Regional Office
- Vanguard Skin Specialists