Position: Vice President, Communications
- Reports to: President and CEO
- Status: Exempt
- Post Close Date: Aug. 20, 2018
The vice president of communications is an integral member of the senior leadership team responsible for directing the Chamber & EDC’s communications, marketing and public relations strategies and practices. The communications vice president will manage a comprehensive communication program and collaborate with community partners to raise Colorado Springs’ profile with local, regional and national stakeholders and audiences.
Work includes integration and implementation of a broad range of marketing and public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. As an ambassador for the organization, this individual builds relationships with media, investors and members, regional business and government representatives, contractors and vendors, Chamber & EDC Board of Directors and other key stakeholders to advance the organization’s position and area’s economic ecosystem.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and deliver a strategic communications plan to enrich the Chamber & EDC’s brand locally, regionally and nationally, as well as elevate perceptions of Colorado Springs’ business climate, investment opportunities and quality of life.
- Set strategic direction for communications tactics and content: websites and blogs; social media; email marketing; publications, reports and newsletters; news releases; paid media; video; media placements; etc.
- Create internal and corporate communications policies and practices to support the organization’s vision, mission and values, and ensure consistent standards across channels and in the community.
- Set current and long-term goals, measure programming, track objectives and report out on communications metrics.
- Counsel Chamber & EDC executives and staff on public relations and communications best practices.
- Work with contracted PR agencies to share storylines, advance pitches, direct paid media campaigns and develop collateral materials.
- Consult with interdepartmental stakeholders (economic development, membership, events, government affairs and defense development) to create effective strategies and tactics in support of organizational and specific program goals and objectives.
- In concert with the president and CEO, develop and implement communications to the Chamber & EDC Board of Directors and top investors.
- Write scripts for Chamber & EDC events and speaking engagements. Ensure Chamber & EDC representatives are coached and prepared for public engagements and media interviews.
- Lead proactive communications to and cultivate relationships with the media, oversee press events and act as spokesperson when needed.
- Manage communications staff and departmental operations – budget, resources, agency contracts and opportunities for growth.
- As needed, perform hands-on work on tactics, events and other organizational programs and activities.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, marketing or related field is required. Ten years’ experience in a senior communications role with similar responsibilities.
- Accredited in public relations (APR) or advanced degree a plus.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in managing comprehensive strategic marketing and communications.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with diverse audiences and stakeholders at various levels of leadership and influence.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategic thinking into action plans and output.
- Excellent judgement and creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategy and tactics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, as well as extraordinary attention to detail.
- Practical experience building and delivering senior-level communications.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, web content management systems and video production tools.
- Mature, self-aware, responsive to editing and critiquing of work.
Typical office environment for daily operations. Participation or attendance may be requested at events during evenings and on weekends.
Provide a short case study outlining a communications, public relations or marketing program you developed and implemented. It should include at a minimum these three elements:
- The challenge
- The solution
- The outcome
Your submission should be no longer than two pages.
Applicants should submit their resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and short case study to TriNet Hire.