Position: Vice President, Economic Development
Reports to: Chief Economic Development Officer
Post Close Date: February 12, 2018
The Vice President, Economic Development is in direct support of the Economic Development Division of a fast paced, non-profit Chamber of Commerce and Economic Development Organization (Chamber & EDC) located in Colorado Springs. This position is responsible for the management of prospect activity including recruitment and expansion of new and existing primary employers for the region. The Vice President, Economic Development actively engages with site selectors, company executives, business owners, brokers and public officials to encourage companies to locate or expand in the region.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Actively participate in the Chamber & EDC’s targeted marketing and recruitment initiatives to attract new primary employers to the region including advancement of the team goals and objectives identified in the strategic plan.
- Interface with the Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade (OEDIT) on attraction prospects, core target industry initiatives, and programs.
- Engage with national site selection consultants through conferences, visits, meetings, familiarization tours, etc.
- Manage prospect inquiries and projects from initiation to completion including extensive documentation of activity and data management.
- Design and prepare business proposals and responses to prospect inquiries, Requests for Information and Requests for Proposals.
- Coordinate and host prospect visits including all preparations through the execution of the visit.
- Provide incentive analysis and follow on coordination of incentives with local and state agencies on behalf of the prospect.
- Provide regular reports to the Chief Economic Development Officer for presentation to the Board and other stakeholder groups on attraction and related program activities.
- Participate in targeted prospecting trips, trade shows and headquarter visits as part of outbound marketing recruitment and business retention efforts.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Economic Development Officer.
- Maintain an in-depth working knowledge of local and state incentive programs.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of the local commercial real estate market.
- Manage prospect referral opportunities with Chamber & EDC members.
- Maintain an active awareness and knowledge of community issues and engage in community boards and activities (approved by the Chief Economic Development Officer) that advance and/or affect the business climate.
- Represent the Chamber & EDC, its mission, and activities to members, elected officials, community leaders, business leaders and the public to include formal presentations. Maintain and nurture relationships with Chamber & EDC members and partner organizations.
- Assist other Chamber & EDC divisions as necessary in support of the organization’s mission to include encouragement of membership and investment in the organization.
- Participate in community events to represent or promote the Chamber & EDC, the business community, and/or the community at-large.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High level of professionalism to interact with C-level executives, company representatives, elected officials, peers and the public.
- Maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion and judgement in dealing with sensitive and confidential information, as well as possess the ability to perform well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Highly motivated self-starter that possesses strong organizational, analytical and time management skills to be able to handle multiple projects and priorities, anticipate the needs of prospects and exhibits good follow-through skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as exhibits a strong attention to detail, high level customer service, problem solving, and project management abilities.
- Strong presentation skills and a thorough knowledge and understanding of economic development practices and principles.
- Excellent understanding of the needs of business and deal making skills to discern prospect needs and make appropriate decisions regarding information submitted, key introductions to be made, etc.
- Work exceptionally well independently and in a team environment and possess the ability to self-direct duties with minimal supervision.
- Display a positive attitude and be amicable, even tempered, cheerful and upbeat with community members, prospects, and co-workers.
- Proficient computer experience with Microsoft Office suite programs and other applications and/or software programs.
- Knowledge of Colorado Springs and the Pikes Peak region preferred.
Education or Formal Training:
Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, marketing or a related field is preferred. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered.
A minimum of five years’ experience in economic development is required. Consideration may be given for a proven track record in the attraction, retention and expansion of jobs.
- Applicants should send their resume, cover letter and salary requirements through TriNet Hire.
- No phone or email inquiries about this position are being accepted at this time.