On March 11th, Southwest Airlines started routes to the Colorado Springs Airport—the second largest airport in Colorado. Due to the strong military presence in the area, one of the three runways is 13,501 feet long, the fifth-longest commercial runway in the U.S. Close to the Rockies, the Colorado Springs Airport is a short drive to scenic beauty, outdoor activities, local cuisine, art walks, a climbing gym, and so much more for travels to enjoy a weekend.
“…[Colorado Springs] is a growing market, a city on the rise, and right now Southwest has airplanes sitting on the ground…we’re pleased as punch,” said Greg Phillips, Colorado Springs director of aviation.
Fly to Colorado Springs & Enjoy These Local Hotspots
Stay the night at Kinship Landing in downtown Colorado Springs, a boutique hotel with hostel-style bunk rooms and traditional designer guest rooms and suites so there is something for every traveler. Local restaurateurs manage the bar and cafe featuring wholesome bowls, delicious sandwiches, and housemade handpies made with locally sourced ingredients. Bringing travelers and locals together, follow them on Instagram for outdoor adventure inspiration.
Enjoy a game at the new Weidner Field Stadium —set to open in spring of this year—which will host the Colorado Springs Switchbacks. The stadium will be the anchor for an entertainment district surrounded by apartments, dining, and shopping.
Visit a local favorite for a night out – ICONS Piano Bar. ICONS in downtown Colorado Springs is a LGTBQ-friendly piano bar serving up song and dance with every meal. The owners opened during the pandemic but are adjusting well to the demand. Check out their food and drink menu and stay for a bite!
Poor Richard’s Bookstore and Café is a great way to immerse yourself in the city culture and shop local. Known for healthy and delicious food, an extensive book selection, and interactive and educational toys, this cozy bookstore is the perfect avenue for connecting to the community.
Hop on Board for a Weekend Getaway
The new flights at the Colorado Springs Airport can whisk you away to Denver, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Dallas, and Chicago allowing for easier and more convenient travel options for Colorado Springs’ travelers. The Colorado Springs Airport is known for its quick and stress-free way of getting in and out with only a quick 20-minute ride to the heart of downtown Colorado Springs just a mere 11-miles away.
Need some inspiration on what activities to pursue once you’re out of state? Check out some of these sites:
- In Arizona, visit the Desert Botanical Garden in South Mountain Park, the largest municipal park in the United States, or spend a weekend hiking Piestewa Peak, the second-highest point in the Phoenix Mountains.
- In Chicago, visit tMillennium Park, catch a game at Wrigley Field, or spend the day at the Navy Pier.
- In Dallas, go on a zip line tour at the Great Trinity Forest, one of the largest urban hardwood forests in the nation.
- one-way nonstop between COS and Denver (DEN) (four times daily)
- one-way nonstop between COS and Las Vegas (LAS) (twice daily)
- one-way nonstop between COS and Phoenix (PHX) (twice daily)
- one-way nonstop between COS and Dallas (DAL) (three times daily)
- one-way nonstop between COS and Chicago (MDW) (twice daily).
See You There!
With the immense growth in our city over the past decade and beyond, it’s no wonder the most financially successful U.S. airline is putting down roots at the Colorado Springs Airport. Book your next getaway here and see for yourself. #COShasHeart.